June 19, 2012

Welcome

Welcome to the WhyWeLead blog!  A blog that holds the vision of becoming a reliable source for leaders in all fields.  Here it is believed that all have the capacity to (and indeed the necessity to) lead within their individual fields of influence. Leadership is just as necessary for the large organization as it is for the individual.  Since the idea of purpose will be a common theme here, allow me to introduce myself and the 'why' behind this blog.


About Me



My name is Jason Carrick-- born and raised in Utah County.  I am the son of a creative, hard working father and a loving, serving mother.  I am a life-long student, and a self-declared teacher. My wife is Larissa, and she is the love that keeps me going each day.  Without her, I would be lost.  I am studying Psychology and Business at Utah Valley University with the sole desire to live a creative life-- on purpose.  

I developed an early love for the ideas and theories of leadership when I got involved in the Boy Scouts of America.  My involvement led to service in a program for young men that facilitated the teaching and training of fundamental leadership principles.  It was there that I first saw my individual need for leadership.  Since the young age of 14, leadership has been a frequent topic of study and a continuous source for success and significance.  

Lately, I finished reading a very encouraging book by the author Parker J. Palmer titled "Let Your Life Speak".  The book inspired a much needed look at the inner self.  It reminded me of the trouble too often associated with being driven by external factors and limiting the voice of your self-hood.   The message came at a time when I(as with all other college students) was seemingly trapped at the crossroads of life with no hope in sight.  Palmer testified that "Our deepest calling is to grow into our authentic self-hood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be.  As we do so, we will also find the joy that every human being seeks-- we will also find our paths of authentic service in the world.  True vocation joins self and service..."  I started my college experience with the goal to get a degree in engineering due the the desire for a career that provided a substantial amount of money.  My training in leadership combined with the message from Palmer helped me understand of my need to match my vocation with my passion.  Thus the desire to shift my educational focus and now start a blog on the subject.  

In order to keep from boring you, this is all I will share.  More of my story will be revealed in posts to come.  Lucky you!


Your Job

Yes, you do have a job as the reader.  This is a blog that will only be successful with the feedback of its readers.  Please feel free to comment and share any insight that will help myself and the readers better understand the subject.  Please keep comments clean and appropriate for the audience.   I will do my best to reply to comments and keep quality conversations going.  



  


4 comments:

  1. Jason, I love your ideas and the passion you have for this subject. You are a natural leader, and the things you say and do matter and are viewed by many. (I could see this about you when I first meet you) I too love to teach and have a passion to lead in my own circle of influence. I commend you for following your heart and working toward a future of influence and fulfillment. I want to remind you (which i am sure you already know and already implement) the people you will lead will teach you just as much as you can teach them, and as you come to love them, that will be the most fulfilling aspect of leadership.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes, you should share your passion here! Everyone needs to hear it!

      Delete
  2. I'm super excited to follow your blog, Jason! Leadership, and you, are some of my most favorite things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily! Thank you for your support! You are great!

      Delete